Passport & Residency
Concordia follows the regulations set by the Shanghai Education Commission:
- Concordia may only accept students with a valid non-PRC passport or an “Official Letter of Approval to Attend Concordia” from the Shanghai Education Commission.
- All students must be living with at least one parent in Shanghai throughout their time of study at Concordia.
- All students must comply with government-mandated document requirements (provided below)
Note: Should Concordia become aware that an enrolled student is living in Shanghai without at least one parent or does not hold current copies of the required government-mandated documents, the student will be asked to leave school and all tuition/fees paid will be forfeited.
Government-Mandated Document Requirements
The Shanghai Municipal Education Commission (SHMEC) requires that international schools keep on file several official documents for each student. Please reference the categories below to determine into which category your family falls, then submit the relevant documents when requested during the application process.
- Category 1: Foreign Families with at Least One Working Parent; Shanghai Work Permit Required (外籍家庭)
在上海工作的家长和学生本人均持有国外护照, 家长需持工作许可， 学生需持合法入境签证。
- Category 2: Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan Families with at Least One Working Parent (港澳台家庭)
- Category 3: Student Born Overseas; One PRC Parent Holds Shanghai Hukou or Recent 12 months of Tax Records in Shanghai. ( 海外出生学生)
- Category 4: One Parent Holds Foreign Passport and Shanghai Work Permit/Shanghai Reunion Residence Permit; Biological Child and Legally Married Spouse Hold PRC passports.
Please note: The residence permit and work permit must be issued in Shanghai.
Please consult Admissions Office through 86-21-5899 0380 if you are unsure whether your child is eligible for applying.
English Language Proficiency
Students applying for Kindergarten (our 5 year-old program) through Grade 12 must possess proficient English language skills (age-appropriate listening, speaking, reading and writing). Preschool and Pre-Kindergarten students may be admitted with beginning English.
An English assessment may be given to candidates based on the following:
- Native and home languages
- Number of years in an English-language curriculum
- School records
- Teacher recommendations
All Preschool applicants for whom we have seats reserved will be scheduled for a Preschool Readiness Interview. Full acceptance is issued only after successful completion of this interview.
Preschool students must be fully potty trained.
Admission to Concordia is contingent upon a match between the student’s learning needs and levels of service available at the time of application. As a result, all decisions regarding admission for students who may need minimal accommodation or support are made on an individual, case-by-case basis to ensure that individual students will find personal and academic success within our community. We ask families whose children have specialized schooling requirements to include documentation and full disclosure* of these needs and the reasons for these requirements with the application. Parents are invited to discuss their child’s needs at any time without a fee.
*Failure to disclose full history of learning needs can result in dismissal from the school.