English Language Learner Program
The English Language Learner (ELL) program at Concordia is committed to providing students with the support they need to fully participate in the rich English learning environment we strive daily to create. All support has the ultimate goal of helping students improve their English proficiency to use academic language confidently in the areas of vocabulary, grammar, listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
Who We serve
The ELL program is designed for students who are learning English as an additional language. ELL coaches carefully review student records, observe interactions in the classroom, and conduct English proficiency testing to help inform the decision as to who requires additional support in the area of English acquisition.
Support looks different from one grade level to another, alternating among consultation with classroom teachers, in-class support, co-teaching, and focused small group pull-out lessons.
What we believe
The ELL program believes in:
- Partnering together with parents, other teachers, and our students to foster language development.
- Promoting understanding and respect for cultural and individual differences.
- The power of continued mother tongue (native language) development and its positive impact on English language development.
- Language learning occurring most successfully through active engagement in school activities and social interactions.
- Cooperative planning between the ELL coach and classroom teacher providing the most impactful instructional delivery model.
All support has the ultimate goal of helping students improve their English proficiency to use academic language confidently in the areas of vocabulary, grammar, listening, speaking, reading, and writing.