At Concordia, we believe in promoting lifelong wellness. Our philosophy of physical education is to provide developmentally appropriate knowledge and skills that will enable students to achieve and maintain lifelong wellness through enjoyment in the context of sport, fitness and health.
Middle School has adopted SHAPE America Standards for its physical education classes:
● Standard 1- The physically literate individual demonstrates competency in a variety of motor skills and movement patterns.
● Standard 2- The physically literate individual applies knowledge of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics.
● Standard 3- The physically literate individual demonstrates the knowledge and skills to achieve and maintain a health-enhancing level of physical activity and fitness.
● Standard 4- The physically literate individual exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others.
● Standard 5- The physically literate individual recognizes the value of physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression and/or social interaction.
Students’ Learning Habits will be assessed independently and pertain to SHAPE Standards 4 and 5. The criteria and expectations for learning habits is as follows:
● Respect self, others and equipment
● Engagement in Class
● Preparedness to Learn
Personal Fitness Challenge
A variety of challenges are offered to monitor the student’s physical fitness levels 3 times annually.
Students will be challenged on the key elements of health related fitness.
1. Cardiovascular Endurance
3. Muscular Endurance and Strength
No matter their physical activity, students find the right surface on which to excel.