As a Christ-centered community of professionals, Concordia’s faculty and staff value and honor a culture of mutual respect, trust and collaboration.
Everyone has a story…find their spark.
Culture Matters-link to Gregg’s vision
Congratulations & Prayers
Intended to be a place where everyone can contribute by sending in information about people or events who should be recognized. For inclusion, please send your submissions to Steve Nurre by Thursday noon.
- Prayers for Raquel Parra’s family in Venezuela as they struggle with the political instability there.
- Prayer of thanks for former student whose mother, Alex Chiu, taught in our preschool. Nicole’s most recent angiogram shows no new avm growth, which significantly reduces the likelihood of anything being wrong in the future.
- Congratulations to Gloria Chandler, Michael Lambert, Kelly Jo Larson and the Marketing team, and all of the volunteers who helped in hosting the Concordia Presents: Peter Feigl, Child of the Holocaust and all associated events this week.
- Congratulations to Johanna Schooley and the Library staff for their efforts with ES Book Week and hosting Author-Artist in Residence, Richard Sobol.
- Thank you to sponsor, Cindy Farley, and chaperones, Kathleen Mahoney, Chris Carter, Dagne Furth, Eileen Bach, Joanie Nadeau, Randy Farley, and Marcia D’Eon, involved in 30 Hour Famine this weekend
- Thank you to Kirsten Gray, Caelin McNair, Margaret Thong, organizers of the Grade 4 Dance Event this week.
» Give Fresh Water to a Rural Yunnan Village for Spring Break: YEP Water Family Service Experience
- Opportunity on March 28 to April 4,
Join a group of Concordia families as their team leader along with the CWEF leaders in making a difference during Spring Break by serving. . Two team leader’s expenses will be sponsored by the 2013 Gala & Auction in appreciation for volunteering. For more information, please read below and email Lindsey Eliason.
Make a difference during Spring Break by serving as a family. For many years our high school students have been transformed by the YEP Water trip where our students work along side villagers to dig trenches and install a cistern to bring fresh water to a village. This coming March 28 to April 4, for the second time, Concordia families have the opportunity to participate in this unique and impactful trip . How great would it be to spend your holiday time traveling to Shuangjiang County to work on a water system that will provide clean and continuous drinking water for the local people and their livestock to meet their basic living needs?
» AUCTION TICKETS ON SALE – Payroll deduct, tickets delivered to you
Tickets are 850RMB per person and raffle is 100RMB or 6 for 500RMB. Attached is the raffle flyer if you would like to preorder and request to be delivered to you. In purchasing tickets, you can request that they be payroll deducted. For payroll deduction, please email Sophy Zhang requesting the tickets to be deducted and copy firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
» VOLUNTEER ON AUCTION NIGHT: RECEIVE A COMPLIMENTARY TICKET!
No event is successful without the help from our entire Concordia community and that includes you! We are in need of teacher volunteers to help with a few key roles on the evening that help the auction run smoothly and successfully. In appreciation for your help, you will receive a complimentary ticket for your service. For more information, please contact Ron Mona, firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer needs include Student Volunteer Coordinators (2-3 needed) and On The Night Accounting/Bid Sheets (4 needed).
» ALEA Conference: Grace and Vocation
The Asia Lutheran Education Association Conference will be in Hong Kong on March 28-29. To learn more click on, ALEA Registration details.
» Concordia iOS App
Want to see the Concordia Lunch Menu for today? Need a quick way to email or call a School Office or to view the calendar from your phone? Then download the Concordia iOS App.
Search for “Concordia Shanghai” in the Apple App Store from your iPhone or iPad or
Point the web browser on you iPhone or iPad to the following link and then click “View in iTunes” (located under the Concordia Logo).
» Positions Available for 2014-15
If you are aware of someone interested in applying for a posted opening please contact Steve Nurre.
- ES Mandarin Teacher
- Teaching Assistant
Apply via these links or from the Employment page of the school website, employment.concordiashanghai.org. If would like to know more about any of these positions please contact Steven Nurre through email@example.com
» For Sale
» Food for Thought
Please feel free to send me articles that you think would be of interest to your colleagues. I will post them here.
- Notes on the Double Standard
» Link to current Community Bulletin to review articles of interest
» Events of Interest
- Concordia TEDx Talk, on March 20th. Audience members will be enlightened and inspired on a variety of topics by our panel of experts. TEDx events are locally organized events created in the spirit of TED’s mission, “ideas worth spreading.” Concordia is proud and excited to be hosting its first TEDx event.You can register for the Concordia TEDx event here. Spaces are limited.
Do you personally have “ideas worth spreading?” If so, you are encouraged to apply to provide a TEDx Talk to share your expertise with our community.
Adults presenters should contact Michael Lambert
Students presenters should contact Brenda Petersen
- Spring Fair, the National Honor Society will be hosting an event new to the Concordia community this year: The Spring Fair will be held on Saturday, April 19th from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM! Families will be able to buy a table for 300 RMB and sell items from their own home that they no longer need or want. School organizations are also welcome to join in the fun, and receive a discounted price of 150 RMB. All proceeds will go the Yunnan Education Project, an organization with which NHS has worked for several years. All interested in participating in the Spring Fair should purchase a table by Thursday, March 27th. Registration can be found in the Middle and High School offices.
- Maker Faire Jinqiao
Saturday, April 26th, 2014, 10 am – 3 pm
Hosted on the campus of Concordia International School Shanghai
Parents, are you Makers? Students, are you Makers? The application process will be open to all Makers: parents, students, corporations, businesses, you name it. If you are a Maker, we want you to apply.
The maker movement is a global event, referred by many as the greatest SHOW-AND-TELL on earth. It is a showcase for anyone who is embracing the DIY or do-it-yourself (or do-it-together!) spirit and wants to share their accomplishments with an appreciative audience and rub shoulders with other Makers. It is a place where hobbyists, tinkerers, artisans, craftspeople, and the merely curious gather together to celebrate, inspire, and get inspired! Mini-Maker Jinqiao will showcase science skills in technology, engineering, arts – cooking, painting, sculpturing – and math. You will see workshops, music and performance, talks and presentations, young maker student booths, sponsor booths, and professional maker or crafter vendor booths.
WHAT DOES A MAKER FAIRE LOOK LIKE? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJBugVtxDRg
WHAT IS MAKING? “We get asked this question all the time. Implicit is usually a hint of “I don’t get it. What’s the big deal?” The superficial answer seems absurd. “Making is the act of creating something.” It’s been around forever. It’s not new. And yet I’m excited about it. There’s a movement about it. There’s talk of it changing the world.”- Travis Good from http://makezine.com/2013/01/28/what-is-making/
More information will be available soon, including a link to the Maker Faire Jinqiao and the online application form for prospective Makers!
Outside Events (The school is not endorsing or promoting anything listed in this section. Items are listed merely you’re your information)
- Lawn bowls, The nforce arena is holding a special promotion if a FREE sports party for anybody born on March 14, 15 or 16. If you are born on any of these dates you are entitled to 2 hours of supervised sports/games of your choice at the nforce arena.
- Celebrate with Concordia Seniors: College and University Acceptances. Complete list as of February 13, 2014.
- Tweet Tweet–Follow us on Twitter-https://twitter.com/xieheconcordia When tweeting about about Concordia, use #concordia
- Wellness Calendar for 2014–Questions should be directed to Becki Bishop.
- Fine Arts